



EAST VILLAGE ASSOCIATION, INC. (EVA)  
Board of Directors Meeting  
Thursday, December 3, 2020 @ 4:00 p.m.  
Virtual Zoom

---

**I. Call to Order and Self-Introductions-**

**II. Adoption of Agenda Action- James Haug, President**

**III. Consent Items: Financials, October Board Meeting Minutes**

**IV. Public Comments (2-minute limit per organization)**

A. Alonso Vivas - Clean and Safe- Presentation

**VI. President's Report: Administrative Items [conflict of interest declarations and comments]**

**VI. Executive Director Report**

**Diane Peabody Straw**

- a. ~~Clean and Safe Ambassador Update~~
- b. Holiday banners & decorations Update
- c. Movie Series Update
- d. Panel Discussion for January

**VII. Standing East Village Association Committee Updates**

- a. Pre-design Committee **Simon Andrews**
- b. Finance Committee **David Miles**
- c. Marketing/Special Events Committee **Robyn Spencer**
- d. Placemaking Committee **Justin Navalle**
- e. Community Issues Committee **Terry McCleary**
- f. Parking Transit Committee **Harry Schwartz**



EAST VILLAGE ASSOCIATION, INC. (EVA)  
Board of Directors Meeting  
Thursday, December 3, 2020 @ 4:00 p.m.  
Virtual Zoom

---

**I. 4:03 PM-Call to Order and Self-Introductions-** Claudine Scott, Hasan Ahmed, Robyn Spencer, Diane Pebody Straw, Karamia Thompson, Lizzy Broughton, Simon Andrews, James Haug, Justin Navalle, Terry McCleary, Andrew Shemirani, Ken Kawachi, Alonso Vivas

**II. Adoption of Agenda Action- James Haug, President**

**III. Consent Items: Financials, October Board Meeting Minutes**

**Motion to approve-** Claudine moved, Robyn 2nd, 4:05PM all in favor.

**IV. Public Comments (2-minute limit per organization)**

A. Alonso Vivas - Clean and Safe- Presentation

4:08 PM-4:19 PM- Slideshow

Questions:

Justin: Is there any correlation with the increase in homeless with what's happening at the convention center?

Alonso: Still to be determined. Last info we received was the convention center housing would shut down in December, but it looks like they might stay open until late January or March. There are still a lot of people in the convention center that are about to be transitioned in permanent housing. Can not say if there is a direct correlation in the increase of numbers and the convention center.

Justin: Is there any inclination that the increase is due to evictions. We have not heard any of the stories from the teams we are working with.

**VI. President's Report: Administrative Items [conflict of interest declarations and comments]**

**VI. Executive Director Report**

**Diane Pebody Straw**

- a. ~~Clean and Safe Ambassador Update~~
- b. Holiday banners & decorations Update

4:23 PM-Diane: Would like to request a vote on the decorations. We have selected a contractor that has worked with other BIDs including gaslamp. We had a request to look different than other districts. Ours will be wreaths with poinsettias. The cost is 6,000\$ but this covers the decorations which will belong to us, and we can use for the coming years. The contractor will install on Monday. We also have holiday



banners going up from 7th to Park. We are using the same designer as the “All in This Together” banners, but they are festive.

James: Two separate motions? What questions does anyone have?

Diane: Motion for holiday decor?

James: Total cost?

Diane: \$6,000

James: Simon motion, Terry 2nd, 4:26 All in favor

Diane: We will work with the same contractor next year to get lights put up.

c. Movie Series Update

Diane: Talked about movies in Faultline. At this time it does not look like it will happen. The city was on board with accepting our proposal and using it as a framework in the future. They are waiting for what the governor would say which happened today. Spoke with Ben today to see if we could consider using parking funds for a drive in series in the spring. Under normal circumstances it would be a no, but right now they will speak with his superiors at the city and see about approval. We are looking into parking lots that we can operate this out of.

d. Panel Discussion for January

Karamia: Confirmed a date and time for panel discussion. January 28th from 11-12PM.

Diane: We discussed today that we will continue with the gift card giveaway.

## VII. Standing East Village Association Committee Updates

**a. Pre-design Committee**

**Simon Andrews**

**b. Finance Committee**

**David Miles**

**Miles:** Budget Update

Miles: Audit going on. Diane and I met a week and half ago and decided to get an updated budget into the city to see where we stand at the end of the fiscal year. WE are still going to be in the black, but not by much. We have trimmed down expenses such as block party expenses and looked into income. A Lot of what happens depends on parking funds, but not much to know until the end of year.

**c. Marketing/Special Events Committee**

**Robyn Spencer**

**Robyn:** Thinking about making a different concept for opening day block party by making an open tailgate party, and each brewery is open to pre-purchase tickets for a bite and a brew. Other areas have had good experiences creating their own tailgate. Once all stars pass in July we are thinking of doing something similar to the original block party.



**Justin:** Things that are doable like partnering with Quartyard and 10 Barrel to see what we can do. I spoke with 10 method to potentially do a batting cage activation. WE can do comedy nights, and roller rinks. Low budget high impact activations. WE will work to get a proposal together for the board for January

**d. Placemaking Committee**

**Justin Navalle**

**Justin:** Will have more information in January for art piece locations.

**e. Community Issues Committee**

**Terry McCleary**

**f. Parking Transit Committee**

**Harry Schwartz**

**Diane:** Budget for next year and what our priorities are in case our budget is cut. We will then know what the structure will be and how to use our funds. What came out is to see if Ben will allow us to roll over funds from this year into next year. Ben is open to it as it will be helpful to them and put less pressure for them to make up the difference. He will talk to his boss and get back next week.

**Justin:** Any feedback on impact since we hired Ambassadors.

**Terry:** I see them everyday. There is a higher concentration

**Justin:** The block feels hotter, but I do see them everyday. I can't imagine what we would be talking about now if we did not hire these two looking at the rising numbers.

**Hasan:** The job that Alonso and his ambassadors do is outstanding. They have done the best to the max. One thing that is going on and it happened in March and again has started. It goes with COVID and how many problems we are going through. It was happening to us and it started again with panhandlers. They are much more dangerous. Every time we call Alonso's team they respond in minutes.

Alonso: They are working the swing shift, so let us know if we should adjust this. If there are any placemaking events where we will need to flex our schedule for these let us know.

Hasan: Does anyone know what was going on in the stadium with a shooting range?

James: I believe it was a SWAT training

Ken: We worked with SDPD to do their SWAT training. It is now done. We do not plan on hosting those anymore. I can make sure in the future we share it with this group. We do share with the community.

Hasan: I did not receive a notice, but I would like to receive a notice for anything that will cause noise exceeding the decibel regulations. East Village Association should be able to approve this at all.

Ken: I will make sure that this gets shared with this group. I do not foresee us hosting these trainings in the future.

James: Was this the first one?

Ken: Yes, the first one to this extent.



Hasan: The last three years I traveled outside of San Diego and it was really festive. California is known as the 5th largest and San Diego is a major city in California. I wanted to see how we can take measures for next year to take care of East Village.

James: It is a much larger endeavour.

Hasan: We should lay a foundation for next year.

Diane: We are working with our contractor for next year to add in lighting to the poles. If it goes well and the budget allows we will be working on expanding.

Hasan: We should start a committee that has 3 or 4 people to handle the issue.

Diane: This would fall on Placemaking.

James: In the last couple of hours they have put restrictions on retail and we are going back into lock down. Hopefully we can get through this in a month. Happy Holidays!

**Adjourned: 4:50 PM**