

EAST VILLAGE ASSOCIATION, INC. (EVA) Board of Directors Meeting Thursday, January 7, 2021 @ 4:00 p.m.

Location: Zoom

*The EVA Board may take action on any item on the agenda unless it is noted as an "Information Only"

Item

I. Call to Order and Self-Introductions

James Haug, President

- II. Adoption of Agenda Action
- III. Public Comments (2-minute limit per organization)
 - A. Dani Garcia- Clean & Safe
 - B. Marlo Woods San Diego Police Department
- IV. President's Report: Administrative Items [conflict of interest declarations and comments]
- V. Informative Presentations

Consent Items

V. Executive Director Report

Diane Peabody Straw

A. East Village Neighborhood Sign

VI. Standing East Village Association Committee Updates

| a. | Pre-design Committee | Simon Andrews |
|----|------------------------------------|----------------|
| b. | Finance Committee | David Miles |
| c. | Marketing/Special Events Committee | Robyn Spencer |
| d. | Placemaking Committee | Justin Navalle |
| e. | Community Relations Committee | Terry McCleary |
| f. | Parking Transit Committee | Harry Schwartz |



EAST VILLAGE ASSOCIATION, INC. (EVA) Board of Directors Meeting Thursday, January 7, 2021 @ 4:00 p.m.

Location: Zoom

*The EVA Board may take action on any item on the agenda unless it is noted as an "Information Only" Item

I. 4:05 PM- StartCall to Order and Self-Introductions: James Haug, Claudine Scott, Robyn Spencer, Todd Brown, Miles David, Terry McClery, Hassan Ahmed, Lizzy Broughton, Diane Peabody Straw, Karamia Thompson, Dani Garcia, Ken Kawachi, Harry Schwartz, Jenner Smith, Andrew Shemirani, Ted Vickey, Janet McDaniel, Mark Garrett, Carla O'Dell, Marsha Lyon

II. Adoption of Agenda Action -4:07 PM

III. Public Comments (2-minute limit per organization)

A. Alonso Vivas - Clean & Safe

4:08 PM-Dani Garcia: Filling in for Alonso Vivas. Operations manager for the Clean & Safe program. Sharing updates and presentations. Sharing a heat map we are currently seeing within East Village. Jst, 15th and Market Street are our heaviest requests for service areas. For the month of December we did 117 logged hours. Peak hours were seen at 2 PM. The presentation shows a heat map of heavily affected businesses.

Lizzy: How long can a group of homeless people stay on one street before they have to move? Dani: generate SPD call for further assistance if we see illegal activities taking place. 5:30-9:30 PM they are allowed to sleep on sidewalks after those hours there should be no encroachments.

Lizzy: I own Tailored and I have never noticed the amount of homeless than I have seen in the past month. The last 2 weeks I have been calling everyone I can to help move the people. One customer had to dodge a homeless man that was in front of our place of business. They had been moved from F & G and now they are all on F. How do we approach this?

Dani:We are definitely seeing the different impacts that COVID brought into downtown. COVID had impacts within the law system. Misdemeanors have become citations only and the jails are full so SDP is limited on what they can do. We are using the get it done app which gets requests sent to city services and SDPD. Environmental services will be one of the providers that works closely with SDP. If there are a large amount of items blocking sidewalk access we would generate a report through the get it done app. an officer would go to the location and see if they can offer any programs to hte.

Lizzy: I feel like as a small business owner I should not have to call 20 times a day there should be more efficiency. What hours do you operate?

Dani: Since COVID we have adjusted to be 24 hours a day.

Lizzy: The trash and belongings is more visually displeasing. We have mattresses out there.



Dani: That is what we take care of. Illegal dumps anything from mattresses to trees to coolers. unfortunately we are unable to touch any personal belongings so we kick those requests off to get it done app. Cal the 1800 # if you do not get a response quickly. You can also provide a ticket number. Aside from the top 5 businesses there is another list that our team has been taking requests from. The sandbox, Lols55, Fstreet is an area we are taking care of. City of SD and SDPD are currently limited, but give us a call at clean and safe. Last page shows associated businesses that were tagged. We are currently growing our team. Please share your thoughts by taking our annual survey.

James: Do you have any information on the stops you are making?

Dani: The team checks in with businesses and shares information when we are noticing hot spots. James: When should we call SDPD.

Dani: If you want to make the call please feel free to call the non emergency line. We are SDPDS right hand.

Hasan: I would just like to say we have had a great experience with Clean & safe. They come within minutes and take care of the problem. We used to have five or six panhandlers now there is maybe 1.

B. Marlo Woods - San Diego Police Department

IV. President's Report: Administrative Items [conflict of interest declarations and comments]

4:25-James: Code of conduct and NDAs. I know it got shot out to everyone. The code of conduct is important because we want to make sure we use our time well in our board meetings. since we take public funds we are not allowed to take stances of . 12-13 years ago a few folks came in and only complained about homelessness. Keep in mind what we are and are not capable of doing. We also want to keep our conflict of interest free. A member tried to stop the condition use permit for a competing restaurant. We want to make sure we are keeping on the up & up. Please review the code of conduct and NNDA.

Terry: Are their financials?

Diane: Still waiting on them.A couple things got held up. Issues with our CC have slowed us down. What I would like to do is send them out as soon as I get them so they can be reviewed before the next meeting. We are in the midst of the audit which is due in February. CC got hacked and we are working out with US Bank. Expecting it to be resolved all within the next week.

V. Informative Presentations

Consent Items - December Minutes - Motion to approve 4:29 PM simon, claudine second 4:30 PM

V. Executive Director Report

Diane Peabody Straw

A. East Village Banners - Beginning redesign



Diane 4:30- executive meeting. Would like to aim to have another strategy meeting in April. We are hoping we can be in person by then. I think it is important we have these check ins. As we have our committee meetings up to April I think it would be beneficial to have a strategy session and talk about our goals for the year. Would like to address any issues that we need to work around. I will send out a poll closer to APril to assess everyone's schedule and see if we can do it in person. Any feedback or would like us to start talking about in committee meetings?

Artem: It's probably going to be impossible to figure out a clear timeline of what will happen for the year. I think highlighting businesses that have been suffering. Once stay at home is lifted, brainstorming how we can support any activations and supporting business. Also doing something for residents and the neighborhood would be great. Highlighting EV positive light willeb great.

James: Intent of a couple months of committee is when we get to strategy we can flush out any ideas. It gives us more time. These ideas were flushed out and or discovered at the strategy meeting. This would give us a chance to talk about our ideas and decide what to bring to the table. I was serving on the committee once every couple of months for homelessness. Any services seemed to just stop, our best hope is waiting for the weather to change and once the city does not have to deploy all their services to COVID then we can deal with it. Until then we will just have to deal with it.

Diane: Moving forward with safety ambassadors is to see if this investment is worth the money. I think all of you are the best judges of whether this is worthwhile. It is 15,000\$ out of our budget.

Artem: It will be helpful to know who our ambassadors are.

Diane: Karamia will send out an email to everyone that has their information.

Todd: I do think it is a good thing I can not put a widget to it.

Diane: WE have already lost so many services in our community. I Think we will have to have a tough conversation about what our priorities are.

Lizzy: As a small business owner and knowing of the residents. There really is no way to completely tell if it is working. I think we should find a way to come together and help one another. Really grouping and using each other for safety. Is there a way to create unity within the community.

Todd: It is just about communication to put out the neighborhood watch deal is a big part of what we need to do.

Claudine: It has been weird because we have been in virtual meetings since March. Before this we would meet up and get to know each other.

Harry: When we started safety we knew adding two was not going to appear to have a great impact. I think using info from DTPS and DTPD the data can show what impact and go to other stakeholders in the



neighborhood and have the neighborhood be safe. We can have others kick in funds and grow the safety team a lot more.

Artem: I Think this should be our ultimate goal.

Todd: This is the foundation and we talked about early on that we are going to grow this.

Diane: We wanted to collect 3 months of data and then see if we want to expand the team. We are coming up on 3 months then we can start planning out who we want to reach out to and how we want to appeal to each business. Please let me know if this is something you want to be part of.

Robyn: EVRG has rental and ownership committees that might want to be a part.

Diane: We are moving forward with RFP to update banners. I am designing it so we move in phases. I would like to feature business on the banners themselves. Other BIDS feature a business owner so it does not feel like an ad. Thoughts?

Claudine: I love it. I think Gaslamp and Hillcrest do it and its really nice.

Robyn: We can make it like a we are EAst Village campaign.

Diane: Some areas are focused on business owners and some are focused on famous LGBTQ folks. Should we request funds from businesses to do this? I am thinking of eating away this year and re visiting when we are back to normalcy.

JAmes: I think if we can get away without charging it would be great.

Robyn: How much would it be?

Diane: It would be about \$125.

Tery: I think there might be institutional investors that can help with funding.

Simon: I think making them personal even makes EVen more personable and attractive.

Jenner: My company may be willing to pick up some cost and we would want other local businesses to be featured on it.

Diane: Once we have it finalized and have a better range on the design fees I will get that back to everyone.

B. City of San Diego Site Visit

Diane: We had an official city of SD site visit. It was our original contract with the Economic Development department. This year was not a physical visit but it was all set and we wrapped that up. We were



already doing the NDS because it was a best practice, but I did not realize it as actually an amendment to our contract. It is important to stay compliant with the city. In the past ED has provided presentations to boards to go over scope of each contract. I think it would be a great idea to take them up on that offer. I wanted to move forward with seeing if everyone wants me to start scheduling that.

C. Social Media Update

Diane: Moved forward with the giveaways and pushed them up a little bit. This is continuing on and has grown our instagram quite drastically. With the growth I think we will hit 10,000 followers in a couple months and will be a great way to drive traffic the way we need. Any questions, thoughts or suggestions?

Todd: is there a way with the banner we can tie in a story and tie social media together with that. We can do business highlights and imagery that coincides with the banners.

Claudine: I think it all ties in together to say "we are EV" and keep that campaign. I think it is a great way to get our stories out there and it would be a great way to highlight EV.

Diane: In addition to providing specs I will make it clear that we want interchangeable graphics for social media to make sure it is all super inclusive through all these platforms.

D. Locale Contract

Diane: Contract has ended in terms of payments to them. Since we did not utilize all our contracts we will be utilizing the rest through the spring. I will be highlighting EV business which we did in our last spread and also focusing on featuring special events with night maret and opening days.

E. Night Market Update

Diane: Night market is moving foard. Releasing RFP later this month to hire contractors to bring in vendors and sending in our permit. Intending for it to be first and 3rd Thursday of each month expecting 13th street between Market and F. Any suggestions?

Jenner: We are corner of 13 an dF and started construction on our new building. Let us know if anything we can do to help this along.

Diane: We will keep you updated.

Jenner: We sold our space to Paragon so if you need our contacts let me know.

Hasan: Has there been discussions on lighting up J street.

Diane: Not since I have been on board.

James: Honestly no. Since the district formed we haven't had any conversations of lighting on the street. It is not something we make the decision on, it is the city planners. If you have questions you can reach out outside of these meetings.



Hasan: Can we get started and suggest to the city that we have designated streets. We can suggest a designated street.

Robyn: East Village is 130 blocks and very large we would need to find a way to tie in and encompass all of East Village.

Simon: There is nothing preventing neighbors from getting together and creating a J street district, and we would support the efforts.

Harry: There was a community plan 15 years ago. For EV there was designated neighborhood commerce with J street being one. They were 3-4 blocks long. This is kind of the concept EV needs to have. Each business has to come together and figure out how to draw attention.

Diane: We have to remember the history. A Lot of these corridors preceded the BIDS. The Gaslamp Quarter was there before the association. The development has been so vastly different. We are in the middle of our s right now. We need to have conversations based on us instead of comparing us.

Todd: Biggest challenge is the size of East Village. It would be challenging to put on a specific thing.

VI. Standing East Village Association Committee Updates

a. Pre-design Committee
 b. Finance Committee
 c. Marketing/Special Events Committee
 Simon Andrews
 David Miles
 Robyn Spencer

5:12 PM- Robyn: Met and discussed the night market. Will work with Justin and send over a proposal for opening day.

d. Placemaking Committee

Justin Navalle

Diane: We discussed locations with Tecture. Next month we will have nailed down and work on contracts. Working on another mural. Looking for a location.

e. Community Relations Committee

Terry McCleary

f. Parking Transit Committee

Harry Schwartz

5:13-James: If you have an SBA loan there are 3 more months of relief coming your way. All I will see you next month.

Adjourned: 5:14 PM